Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Backpack Inventory

In the pursuit of a minimalist lifestyle, I have compacted and reduced my everyday items into a 23-lb package. The following list contains the items and their uses:

-Audio converter cable.  This allows for a more public use of my mp3 player or laptop while traveling without requiring me to carry bulky speakers.
-Business cards.  Who knows when I might meet someone interesting or in need of my services?
-Cash.  Always keep a bit in case of emergency.
-Chargers.  For my laptop, phone, and whatever else might need one.
-Checkbook.  This sort of doubles as a wallet and carries important documents if I need them.
-Clothes.  Enough for three days.  Socks, underwear, shirts, swimming trunks, and pajama pants.
-Comb.  For those bad hair days.
-Dental floss.  Useful for dental hygiene, some repairs, and escaping from mutated sea bass.
-Deodorant. 
-Duct tape pen.  It's a pen with duct tape wrapped around it.  It comes in handy more often than one might expect.
-Earplugs.  Sometimes, it's nice to be able to filter out background noise. 
-Eyedrops.  It pays when you have allergies and/or contacts.
-First aid supplies.  A few adhesive bandages and some antibiotic ointment will go a long way.  I also include a Twinject Pen (like an EpiPen) and an albuterol inhaler for allergy and asthma emergencies.
-Gift cards.  I used to lose gift cards a lot, or forget them in drawers.  Carrying them has helped for food a few times in a bind, and the cards are used like they were meant to be.
-Glasses.  A handy backup for the contacts.
-Handwipes.  These have dramatically increased the quality of my life during train trips, car rides, and plane flights. Clean your hands and face, as well as other minor messes.
-Hot sauce.  In particular, I carry Dave's Insanity Sauce.  It can spice up any meal with just a drop.  It is also a handy treatment for itching and can relieve toothaches.  Be sure that it is secured in a bag, however.
-Krazy glue.  This is useful for making all kinds of on-the-go repairs.
-Lappy.  Certainly not required, and adds a something like 30% more weight.  I do like my lappy, though, and take it most places with me.
-Leather cleaner.  An all-purpose cleaner for your footwear can help you look fresh and neat.  It makes security less suspicious and you'll feel less gross in general, especially if you step in some mud on the way in.
-Lens cleaners.  In case the glasses get dirty.
-Lip balm. 
-Lighter.  I don't take this onto planes, obviously, but it's always handy for camping, bonfires, and fixing loose threads.
-Medication.  I carry any medication that I take with me at all times, in original prescription bottles.
-Moisturizer.  I have dry skin, so I carry a small tub of moisturizer.
-Nail clippers.  Part of any complete grooming kit.
-Nasal spray.  This and salt to make a saltwater rinse can prevent sinus infections, reduce irritation, flush out allergens and irritants, and that makes them priceless to me.
-Needle & thread.  I take a needle and thread everywhere I go.  Basic sewing skills and supplies have repaired my backpack, shoes, and clothes several times in the last ten months already.
-Passport.  I only bring this with me when I plan on traveling out of the country.  I leave photocopies with my parents and Sister Dear in case of problems.
-Pens & pencils.  Writing and writing instruments can make life much easier.  Use to document your journey, solve math problems, write down directions, entertain yourself by doodling, or perform basic illusions for children.
-Playing cards.  Fun without batteries.
-Pocket torch.  Like the lighter with an exponent attached.
-Pocketknife.  Everyone should have one except when inappropriate.  So forget it in an airport, but still pick up one at your destination.
-Q-tips.  Good for personal grooming and repairs, among other things.
-Razors.  If you shave, it's nice to always have one around.
-Rope (or twine).  Use for repairs, a makeshift clothesline, or to secure something to the outside of your pack.
-Scissors.
-Shampoo packets.  They fit more conveniently than bottles for general travel, and are far less messy.
-Shortwave radio.  These are useful for emergencies away from civilization.
-Snack food.  I usually keep fruit like dried apricots with me.  It's good for an energy boost in a pinch.  That way, you don't have to go completely without.
-Soap.
-Swimsuit.  I love swimming.  These are also a convenient double for shorts if you need them, as well as another pair of pants should something happen to your jeans/khakis/etc.
-Therapy band.  I use these to stretch and do exercises.  I've also wrapped ankles, knees, and wrists in them after an injury. 
-Toilet paper.  It never hurts to have a bit with you.
-Toothpaste & toothbrush.  It's just good hygiene.
-Trash bags.  Use these to keep your trash picked up, your pack dry in the rain, and to keep clean clothes separated from your soiled ones.
-Water bottle.  Nothing fancy, just a regular bottle of water.  When it's empty, refill it!
-Waterproof adhesive.  This is terribly handy.  I end up using mine all the time.  One of my favourites is Shoe Goo, but anything like it will work as long as it will bond to plastic, rubber, wood, and metal and create a flexible, waterproof seal.

I hope to travel the world one day with a similar list. Questions, comments, and suggestions for modifications are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment